The registration and score reporting services on this website will be temporarily unavailable on Friday, June 2, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time until Saturday, June 3, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time, for system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

What Tests Do I Need to Take?

All undergraduate candidates seeking an initial state-approved Pennsylvania educator preparation certificate are required to pass a basic skills assessment as well as the corresponding subject matter test(s) related to the certification area. Post-baccalaureate candidates and advanced degree holders for initial teacher certification are not required to take a basic skills assessment. Post-baccalaureate candidates must take the subject matter area test(s) corresponding to the certification area(s) they are seeking. If you are already certified and adding another certificate, you only have to take the test(s) corresponding to the new certification area.

Passing the Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA) is one means of meeting the basic skills requirement recognized by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. The following PECT subject matter tests meet the testing requirements for the corresponding certification areas.

For more information about testing requirements, please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Education's Certification Testing page Link opens in a new window..

Top of Page