PECT Study Guide
Child Development, Learning, and Assessment; Collaboration and Professionalism
- Arends, R. I. (2012). Learning to teach (9th ed.). Dubuque, IA: McGraw-Hill.
- Cole, R. W. (Ed.). (2008). Educating everybody's children: Diverse teaching strategies for diverse learners (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Harmin, M., & Toth, M. (2006). Inspiring active learning: A complete handbook for today's teachers. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Kostelnik, M. J., Soderman, A. K., & Whiren, A. P. (2010). Developmentally appropriate curriculum: Best practices in early childhood education (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Popham, W. J. (2010). Classroom assessment: What teachers need to know (6th ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Woolfolk, A. (2008). Educational psychology (11th ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Language and Literacy Development; Social Studies, Arts, and Humanities
- Armbruster, B. B., Lehr, F., & Osborn, J. (2006). Put reading first: Kindergarten through grade 3 (3rd ed.). Washington, DC: National Institute for Literacy
- Carnine, D., Silbert, J., Kame'enui, E., Tarver, S., & Jungjohann, K. (2010). Teaching struggling and at-risk readers: A direct instruction approach. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO)/National Governors Association (NGA). (2010). Common core state standards for English language arts & literacy in history/social studies, science, and technical subjects.
- Edwards, L. C. (2006). The creative arts: A process approach for teachers and children (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Gunning, T. G. (2010). Creating literacy instruction for ALL students (7th ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Isenberg, J. P., & Jalongo, M. R. (2010). Creative thinking and arts-based learning: Preschool through fourth grade (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Moats, L. C. (2000). Speech to print: Language essentials for teachers. Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes.
- Parker, W. C. (2012). Social studies in elementary education (14th ed.). Boston: Pearson.
- Roskos, K. A., Christie, J. F., & Richgels, D. J. (2003). The essentials of early literacy instruction. National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- Seefeldt, C., Castle, S. D., & Falconer, R. (2009). Social studies for the preschool/primary child (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Mathematics, Science, and Health
- Abruscato, J., & DeRosa, D. (2010). Teaching children science: A discovery approach (7th ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO)/National Governors Association (NGA). (2010). Common core state standards for mathematics.
- Drolet, J., & Wycoff-Horn, M. (Eds.). (2006). Health education teaching strategies for elementary and middle grades. Reston, VA: American Association for Health Education.
- Michaels, S., Shouse, A. W., & Schweingruber, H. A. (2008). Ready, set, science! Putting research to work in K–8 science classrooms. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Musser, G. L., Peterson, B. E., & Burger, W. F. (2008). Mathematics for elementary teachers: A contemporary approach (8th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (2006). Curriculum focal points for prekindergarten through grade 8 mathematics: A quest for coherence. Reston, VA: Author.
- National Research Council. (2009). Mathematics learning in early childhood: Paths toward excellence and equity. Committee on Early Childhood Mathematics, Cross, C. T., Woods, T. A., & Schweingruber, H. A. (Eds.). Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- National Research Council. (2000). Inquiry and the National Science Education Standards: A guide for teaching and learning. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Pangrazi, R., Beighle, A. & Pangrazi, D. (2009). Promoting physical activity and health in the classroom. San Francisco: Pearson Benjamin Cummings.
- Sorte, J., Daeschel, I., & Amador, C. (2011). Nutrition, health, and safety for young children: Promoting wellness. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Van de Walle, J. A., Karp, K., & Bay-Williams, J. M. (2009). Elementary and middle school mathematics: Teaching developmentally (7th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.